četrtek, 14. februar 2013

Week 7 - let's reflect - IMPOSSIBLE

Anna set us quite a challenge this week. The second word of SILVER LINING is impossible but in the sense of nothing is impossible. I've just noticed that there are two more i-s to come until the end of the year... but let's deal with this one first.

After thinking very hard I found out that for me everything associated with impossible is connected to France and the French language.
When I was in my twenties I often thought that I would never finish my French studies because we had to write a very long essay on a chosen topic to get the degree (a hundred pages or more).
Of course I did it, but then it seemed impossible to get a job as a teacher of French. When a new public/private grammar school appeared in Ljubljana (the capital)I was one of literally hundreds of candidates trying to get a job. We were interviewed in front of a board of 12 or 13 people (most of them men)and the schedule we were sent went pear-shaped. The delay was about 3-4 hours and while I was waiting I didn't want to take any refreshments that the nice secretary was offering around. At one moment I became very hungry and took a biscuit. Exactly at that time my name was called.
I entered the interview room as red as a beetroot with my mouth full. I really don't know how I swallowed everything without having a coughing fit. I apologized to the board and started answering their questions. When I came home I just said to everyone: " Let's just forget about this school and this job, I'll never get it."

You've probably guessed that I did get the job to my utter amazement - so I was the first teacher of French at that school. I worked so hard that I was half-ill all the time and what's more those were the years when I had my children. Eight years later I realized that I am the only one responsible for my health and the well-being of my family. So I quit but couldn't become a stay at home mum due to financial reasons.

I thought that I would never teach French again - I got a position of an English teacher at a primary school (11-15 year olds in our system). I was also convinced that I would probably never see Paris again - I had gone there every year with my students (18 year olds).
But at my new job I met my best friend :-D and as our kids grew up a bit we started travelling together. In 2010 we went to Paris, exactly ten years after my previous visit in 2000 and it was the first visit for my friend and her sister.  I'd rather not mention that our flight home was cancelled last minute due to air controllers' strike and I had to use all my poor negotiating skills to get us places on a plane to Croatia - Zagreb - where my husband picked us up, otherwise we would have waited at the airport for a whole day.
And surprise, surprise, in spring 2012 there were enough candidates to start French as an option at our school.
At the moment it seems impossible to travel anywhere due to the economic crisis in our country but I am sure that one day I'll see Paris again, hopefully in summer. The above photos are from February 2010 and I really couldn't choose just one.
Thanks for reading this long (hopefully not long-winded)  post to the end and thanks for your "impossible" stories.
Have a nice and relaxing weekend,
Kristina

12 komentarjev:

  1. That's a beautiful story Kristina, I love it and it is also so inspirational. So many things happen to us that we wouldn't believe possible. By the way, the biscuit stuff happened to me, almost in the same circumstances, I didn't want to have a coffee as I wouldn't know what to do with the cup so I took a biscuit and of course I was called at that time.
    Your photos of Paris are very pretty, they really show the flair. I haven't been there in many years, it would be fun to meet there ! xx

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. lovely photos and hope you get to visit Paris again soon.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Nice photos and an inspiring story. I am sure you will get to Paris again someday. Nothing is impossible, remember that.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. It is amazing how some people can master languages .. I was doing some practice with my 16 year old for her oral exam and although I remember quite a bit I still find it very hard to imagine talking another language!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. Great story, your love of France and the french language is really strong.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Lovely story and another piece of your life so we are getting to know you better too xxx

    Who knows if you ever get to Paris you could pop over to England and meet some of us :) We must remember we have learnt that nothing is impossible!!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. Fantastic story, guess it is a bit like saying "never say never!" none of us know. x

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Congratulations!
    This is great!
    I also believe that you will be back in Paris and not only there!
    Good luck!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Well done you on getting the job and having so many lovely trips to Paris. I haven't been there for a long long time. Lovely story :) xxx

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Another lovely story, hope you get back soon

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. Thank you for your lovely story. Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet in Paris in the future?

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Glad you got back to Paris and that photo of the Eiffel tower is amazing.

    OdgovoriIzbriši